The difference between Envy and Jealousy.

Show us your creative talent and share your artwork, writing, photography, music, or anything else you think we might enjoy.

The difference between Envy and Jealousy.

Postby Pfc.XavierStash » Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:13 am

The following is a paper I wrote explaining the difference between being jealous and being envious. Thoughts and criticism is very much appreciated.

Envy and Jealousy, very similar emotions but are very different from each other. I'd like to think I don't envy people and that I am not a jealous person, but to be brutally honest, everyone has these feelings.

It takes a lot in order to suppress them.

The feelings of envy feels almost like getting punched in the gut, you want something somebody has or achieved, it feels terrible. You should be happy for that person's success, but the thoughts of you not being so successful gets in the way. No matter how hard you try to be happy for them, the envy keeps coming back. Some people are better at controlling it, others not so much. But it is a natural feeling, to want what others have.

Jealously, on the other hand, is being afraid or worried that you are going to be replaced by somebody else or something else. This hits you in the gut too, but in a different spot, and sometimes it makes its way to the heart or brain. It pulls you into a deep place of anxiety. The fear of losing someone is overbearing, tear bringing, especially if it is for someone you love.

The sad part of it all, though, is that Envy brought you here to this state of mind. They are closely connected. Usually, envy comes first, the wanting of what someone has, then Jealous kicks in, the thought of losing them for the thing they have that you want.

A way to get the monsters to calm down is to talk to the person you are envious or jealous of. Depending on how they act towards you and their attitude, it should help suppress those feelings. Another way, but less successful method, is to bury deep inside your other emotions. I don't recommend this because it does not solve the problem, the irrational thoughts that you may be having, they would still be there. -Zachary "XavierStash" Harlan

Jealousy is simply and clearly the fear that you do not have value. Jealousy scans for evidence to prove the point - that others will be preferred and rewarded more than you. There is only one alternative - self-value. If you cannot love yourself, you will not believe that you are loved. You will always think it's a mistake or luck. Take your eyes off others and turn the scanner within. Find the seeds of your jealousy, clear the old voices and experiences. Put all the energy into building your personal and emotional security. Then you will be the one others envy, and you can remember the pain and reach out to them. ~Jennifer James
Pfc.XavierStash

Return to The Refrigerator