I've created a 3D scanning REST API with libraries

Show us your creative talent and share your artwork, writing, photography, music, or anything else you think we might enjoy.

I've created a 3D scanning REST API with libraries

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:04 am

This is not the usual kind of creation here.

As part of my degree I have created a RESTful web API that takes in images, sorts them and creates a 3D point cloud from them.

https://triad.io

It features a secure API, JavaScript Scanner Library (using JavaScripts getUserMedia API), JavaScript Viewer Library (using three.js) and a PHP library.

If you don't have basic knowledge of JavaScript you may not be able to implement this, however your feedback is useful.

I won't describe much more in this post, as the documentation on the website itself should explain it, and if not please tell me.

There is a demo available at https://triad.io/demo that is best used on a smartphone with a browser that can access getUserMedia (Firefox allows you to choose cameras, Chrome seems to be stuck on the front facing camera only). It's not the best of demos at all, but it is functional.

To use the demo:

1. Click "New Model"
2. Wait until a viewer short url appears.
3. Click "Scan", allow the camera usage and start moving the camera over the model.
4. After, say 50 photos from different angles, click "Stop".
5. Click "Generate". Keep tapping generate until you get a response.
6. Once generated, go to the viewer url. WASD (Q&E to rotate) and mouse (click to enable).

Here is some point clouds I made earlier

For the future I hope to have the point clouds turning into textured meshes, but that is more complex than it first seems.

I'm looking for (useful) feedback I may submit as part of my report. I will take feedback from the comments, as well as this short, 3 question, survey https://www.quicksurveys.com/s/Tn4w2J7) if you would like to leave more detailed feedback in private (email is optional).

New registrations will be open for 72 hours and accounts will be removed at the end of the 72 hours.
Matt

Re: I've created a 3D scanning REST API with libraries

Postby Gen.Cannafix » Tue Apr 22, 2014 9:16 am

cool.. but what the hell am i looking at and what does it do and what CAN i use it for i my everyday life.
Gen.Cannafix
SRRP General

Postby Matt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 12:50 pm

The goal is for other web developers to have an easy way of integrating 3D services (such as scanning models and viewing them) into their own websites. For example a social 3D "selfie" sharing app. So it's not really a consumer product.
Matt

Postby Gen.Cannafix » Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:14 pm

cool i have seen something simuliar before
Gen.Cannafix
SRRP General

Postby Maj.Gen.Greenwood (SRO) » Tue Apr 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Sounds really cool man.
Major General Greenwood
Senior Recruiting Officer
___________________________________________________________________________________
Swamp Rat's Rat Pack Member; 2009 - Current
SRRP Recruitment; 2011 - Current
SRRP SRO; 2014 - Current
SRRP General; 2014 - Current
___________________________________________________________________________________
Want to join the scrim team? PM Me.
Maj.Gen.Greenwood (SRO)
SRRP General

Return to The Refrigerator