Last Flight of Space Shuttle Discovery

Show us your creative talent and share your artwork, writing, photography, music, or anything else you think we might enjoy.

Last Flight of Space Shuttle Discovery

Postby Maj.Gen.Asty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 9:28 pm

I live about 25 miles south of Kennedy Space Center in Florida and I was able to see the last flight of Space Shuttle Discovery do flyby down the beach where I live before it set out for the Smithsonian in Washington DC. Here are my pics I took of it not long after dawn this morning.

As old and expensive as it was, it nevertheless was and still is a symbol of American achievement and exploration. Hopefully someday it will be replaced by something bigger and better. It was really sad to see it go. :cry:
P4170002.JPG
P4170001.JPG
Discovery heading south down the beach before it banks north towards DC.
Attachments
P4170005.JPG
P4170003.JPG
[SRRP]Maj.Gen.Asty
Maj.Gen.Asty
SRRP General

Re: Last Flight of Space Shuttle Discovery

Postby pvt. peanutpancakez » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:04 pm

It was really cool watching the plane fly over my school, the teachers just let everyone go outside while some of the administrators went on the roof to take pictures. I didn't take any but it was a really cool thing to see fly right above you. The shuttle is actually being sent to the Udvar Hazy Air and Space Museum near Dulles air port in Chantilly, Virginia.
pvt. peanutpancakez

Re: Last Flight of Space Shuttle Discovery

Postby Col.Brandon_ha » Mon Apr 23, 2012 5:00 pm

While its sad to see the shuttle go I'd like to point out; it was less than 60 years between the wright brothers first flight at kittyhawk and Yuri Gagarin becoming the first human in space. Since that time we have made such huge jumps forward in technology and science. What could we possible create in the next 60?
Col.Brandon_ha
SRRP Officer

Return to The Refrigerator