High Performance CPR

Sit back, relax, and enjoy friendly discussions with other users of the SRRP forums. Non-clan-related topics only, anything to do with the clan goes in the SRRP Clan & Server section.

High Performance CPR

Postby Rapid Rescue » Sat Mar 16, 2013 12:33 am

Concerning something I said in the game earlier with regards to how we EMTs are being taught CPR:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0G17sH4 ... N9dnvl8_PA

This is the new 'High Performance' CPR that we're being taught. It shows O2 administration being done, but if it comes to a single rescuer, breaths are WITHHELD.

...don't ask. I just wanted to be right.
Rapid Rescue

Re: High Performance CPR

Postby Gen.Jersey » Sun Mar 17, 2013 10:36 pm

(I have been an EMT for almost 15 years, and an AHA first-aid and CPR instructor for 12 years)

Yup that was changed a couple of years ago for several reasons.

* Enough oxygen remains in the lungs and bloodstream that merely circulating it via chest compressions is adequate for the short period of time CPR is effective. And let's face it, CPR really doesn't save lives -- if a victim of sudden cardiac arrest doesn't get hit with a defibrillator within 4-5 minutes they're usually not coming back. CPR is really just a stopgap measure to give the victim a few precious minutes so they can be shocked before brain damage occurs and/or their heart rhythm doesn't degrade to something non-shockable. The recent trends to place AED's (automated external defibrillators) in public places like malls, movie theaters, and planes save many more lives than bystander CPR, with or without rescue breaths.

* It is much quicker and easier to train the public to push down on someone's chest 100 times a minute compared to compressions combined with basic airway management and rescue breaths. Show them how to locate the correct spot on the chest, and make sure they understand that quite a lot of pressure is required and that they will probably crack a rib or three (especially on older victims), and they are out with their freshly-signed CPR card in an hour or two.

* Very few people (even EMT's) regularly carry a disposable CPR mask. Knowing that they can do something without exchanging saliva makes it much more likely that a bystander will offer assistance.

EMT's should still be trained to use traditional CPR with rescue breaths, even if they are alone. The new no-compressions procedure is intended for the general public.
General Jersey
SRRP Website Designer and Administrator

Please let me know if you have any issues, questions,
or comments about the SRRP website and server.

Add me on Steam @ [SRRP]Gen.Jersey

PM me here:

Looking to buy a real gun?

Check out WhichGun.com, my firearms reference site and buying guide.
Gen.Jersey
SRRP Senior General

Postby Rapid Rescue » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:31 am

Well put. I think the whole start to this was Seattle, as well? I had read about it in JEMS. Something that's just creeping into Maryland, now...

But, on the means of carrying a pocket mask...I'm sadly that one squirrel who's always done it. ;P

Then again, my car's set up as a rapid responder, anyhow, so that helps out.
Rapid Rescue

Postby Col.Brandon_ha » Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:49 am

Yep Those Automatic Defibrillators have saved so many lives here in Canada. They're being mandated for all sports arenas in the country now.

They're absolutely spectacular as well, idiot proof instructions in a clear and authoritative vocal manor; exactly what a scared untrained first-responder needs. If we could put the things on a robot that could place the contact patches itself, well we'd be set, but since that can't happen these things are the best option.
Col.Brandon_ha
SRRP Officer

Postby Rapid Rescue » Wed Mar 20, 2013 9:15 pm

Agreed as well. My state, in particular, actually helped pave the way for AEDs in public locations. We even have a program through MIEMSS (Maryland Institute for Emergency Medical Services and Systems) that helps with those places wanting public AEDs to acquire one at discounted prices. It just helps.

And, after tonight, I'm freshly recertified to save lives by pumping on chests. After taking a call, of course! Uncontrolled epistaxis is no joke.
Rapid Rescue

Return to The Lounge