SRRP App

Sit back, relax, and enjoy friendly discussions with other users of the SRRP forums. Non-clan-related topics only, anything to do with the clan goes in the SRRP Clan & Server section.

SRRP App

Postby Maj.Roebuck581 (RO) » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:46 am

Hey guys I've been wondering if there can be an SRRP app in the the app store for both android and apple. This would bring more attention to SRRP as the first Day of Defeat clan to have its first running app. It would be fast, reliable, and a whole lot easier to view the website. This is just an idea, so don't think that me or someone else would be making this. If you guys think that this is a good or bad idea please post your comments here.
Roebuck581
Officer
Recruiting Officer
Email Me at bryanbernardo42@yahoo.com
Add Me on Facebook! Bryan Bernard
Maj.Roebuck581 (RO)
SRRP Officer

Re: SRRP App

Postby Maj.Gen.NeckBBreaker » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:08 pm

Creative but really useless IMO.
What would be the benefit of such an app? I mean if its forums, honestly checking it once or twice a day on my laptop at home is sufficient for me. I won't check it more often if I had the app and I really doubt that a pub would download an app on his phone just to see a forum of a server of a game he plays more or less frequently. In addition, the forums would have to be totally new designed and developped to fit in an app. I don't have the technical insights to that but in my 'Online Management' lectures in university we learned that it's really expensive to write such an app.
In addition, you would have to do way too many for Android (it would have to be compatible with all Android phones and there are way too many on the market), several for Windows Phone and one for IOS and publish it. Too much effort if you can access the website in a few secs from any computer ;)
What would you like to add more in that app?
I mean it is still about SRRP and if you want to get more attention and get more pubs, we should do way more with our social media channels. We have an FB account and a YT channel but nothing happens there.

I would rather upload a video every week on YT instead of writing an app =D
Maj.Gen.NeckBBreaker
SRRP General

Postby Brig.Gen.Triskel » Sun Sep 29, 2013 1:19 pm

It maybe would be fun having it on the phone.
This year at university, I have a class where we program applications for mobile phone, I think it was with Java not sure.
If I have to create an app of a website, I ll try to make it about srrp website. I ll let u know If i do it :)
Darksoul
Brig.Gen.Triskel
SRRP General

Postby Capt. Aj0509 » Mon Sep 30, 2013 7:17 pm

Brig.Gen.Darksoul wrote:It maybe would be fun having it on the phone.
This year at university, I have a class where we program applications for mobile phone, I think it was with Java not sure.
If I have to create an app of a website, I ll try to make it about srrp website. I ll let u know If i do it :)

If you do this i think it would be awesome. Were ever i am with my phone i will always check my phone for the forums.
Experienced Admin
____________________________________________________________________________________
Fight with the best! Or die like the rest!
____________________________________________________________________________________
Rejoined: 2013 - Present
Officer: September 2nd, 2016
Capt. Aj0509
SRRP Officer

Postby Fleegman » Mon Sep 30, 2013 9:17 pm

Gen.NeckBBreaker wrote:Creative but really useless IMO.

I mean it is still about SRRP and if you want to get more attention and get more pubs, we should do way more with our social media channels. We have a FB account and a YT channel but nothing happens there.

Couldn't agree more with NeckBBreaker as this is true of so many apps. Not everything needs a specialized application. Modern mobile devices are built to read web pages as they are and nothing bothers me more than sites using custom mobile code when they detect a mobile device or trying to force me to install another useless app that is basically a browser. What would the additional value or use be?
Fleegman
SRRP Officer

Postby StaticX » Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:51 am

No need for an app. I can browse the site just fine from my phone.....
StaticX

Postby Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx » Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:03 am

Same with me, I'm fine with web browsers on tablets and smart phones, don't think an app would come to much use.
Lieutenant General xXHeAdShOtXx
Former Senior Recruiting Officer
Assistant Website Administrator
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Member of Swamp Rat's Rat Pack (2011 - )
SRRP Recruitment (2012 - )
Senior Recruiting Officer (2013 - 2014)
SRRP Assistant Website Administrator (2013 - ) __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Questions about recruitment?

Add me on Steam @
[SRRP]Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx

PM me here:
Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx
SRRP Senior General

Postby NileX. » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:28 pm

the idea is not bad but i agree with the rest. it isnt a problem to browse the site on my smart phone and if i am at home i always have an eye on the forum with my computer.

but all in all it would be funny =)
Hello, my name is NileX.
those ppl call me "Mr. M1 Garand"... *bing*

Postby Maj.Roebuck581 (RO) » Tue Oct 01, 2013 12:54 pm

It was just an idea and something to think on.
Roebuck581
Officer
Recruiting Officer
Email Me at bryanbernardo42@yahoo.com
Add Me on Facebook! Bryan Bernard
Maj.Roebuck581 (RO)
SRRP Officer

Postby Gen.Jersey » Tue Oct 01, 2013 6:26 pm

Fleegman wrote:
Gen.NeckBBreaker wrote:Creative but really useless IMO.

I mean it is still about SRRP and if you want to get more attention and get more pubs, we should do way more with our social media channels. We have a FB account and a YT channel but nothing happens there.

Couldn't agree more with NeckBBreaker as this is true of so many apps. Not everything needs a specialized application. Modern mobile devices are built to read web pages as they are and nothing bothers me more than sites using custom mobile code when they detect a mobile device or trying to force me to install another useless app that is basically a browser. What would the additional value or use be?

+1.

Browser wrappers are not apps.

If there is anything about the SRRP website that makes it difficult to view on a smartphone, please let me know about it. Tweaking the website itself is a better solution.
General Jersey
SRRP Website Designer and Administrator

Please let me know if you have any issues, questions,
or comments about the SRRP website and server.

Add me on Steam @ [SRRP]Gen.Jersey

PM me here:

Looking to buy a real gun?

Check out WhichGun.com, my firearms reference site and buying guide.
Gen.Jersey
SRRP Senior General

Next

Return to The Lounge