any car enthusiasm here ?

Sit back, relax, and enjoy friendly discussions with other users of the SRRP forums. Non-clan-related topics only, anything to do with the clan goes in the SRRP Clan & Server section.

Re: any car enthusiasm here ?

Postby 2nd Lt.East-Raven » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:48 pm

Bacfire wrote:
M/Sgt.East-Raven wrote:That sexy 300C

Thanks thanks, might fine Subaru you got there!

Thanks thanks XD
[SRRP]2nd Lt.East-Raven (RO)
2nd Lt.East-Raven
SRRP Officer

Postby Sgt.MisterLlamaman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 12:48 am

Oh my gosh I'm so glad I found this thread..
So here goes..
About a year ago, I drove a 2012 Chevrolet Sonic, 1.4L Turbo, 6-Spd Manual.
Originally, this is supposed to be an economical, A to B car.. great on gas (40-45mpg), a little pep in its step, and an all around fun-to-drive car.
BUT
I wanted more.
I went through Automotive Mechanic training at ATI in Virginia Beach, and through the schooling, my Sonic went with me.
First, I removed that tiny little 17mm turbo and slapped on a 54mm Garrett GTX2860R Turbo along with a new 3" downpipe and full exhaust, ending with a nice cherry bomb for the extra sound. :P Oh, and not to mention a big blow-off valve to let everyone around me know I had le Turbo.
Next, I put in an Ingen Cold Air Intake and upgraded the intercooler. That alone added a good 30 horses to her.
After a performance tune and some bigger injectors, she was pushing 300HP at 27lbs of boost (tiny little engine needs a LOT of help xD).
Unfortunately, the stock transmission wasn't meant to handle more than about 150-180hp. I blew third gear out three times before I decided it was time to upgrade. I took the Sonic into my transmission class and offered her up as a class project. A month and lots of research and math later, we were bolting the transmission back on with some MUCH smaller, yet tougher gears inside.
I took her to a dyno and, to my utter astonishment, she was pushing 455HP! I was like :shock: :shock: :shock:
Needless to say, I couldn't keep the tiny stock tires on the road. I was starting out at third gear and feathering the clutch just to avoid spinning the tires.
So yeah, that's my story about my baby.
And here's where the story takes a bad turn.
I got in a lot of trouble with my Sonic. A bright orange car with bright blue rims going 160mph down the highway is bound to draw some attention. After I spent a weekend in jail for street racing, I got a visit from my wonderful parents. Feeling like a little kid getting grounded, I handed over my keys and watched my Dad drive away in my baby.
To this day, my dad drives my Sonic to work, as it still gets awesome gas mileage (around 35mpg on 93 octane).
Every time I go home, I see my Sonic parked in the driveway and my heart breaks a little more.
But. It is what it is. Maybe one day I'll be able to build another toy.

Side Note: Now, I drive a slow-as-crap 2014 Volkswagen Jetta, 2.0L. Sigh. As I said. It is... What it is..

Good Day, Gentlemen. And thank you for reading. :)
Llama, llama, duck.
Sgt.MisterLlamaman
SRRP Non-Commissioned Officer

Postby Bacfire » Sat Oct 18, 2014 2:34 am

455 Crank or Whell hp?

And man, this is alot from this little thing.
Bacfire

Postby Sgt.MisterLlamaman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:43 pm

At the wheels, man. believe me, I was shocked too. a 1.4L engine pushing THAT much power was crazy. I was walking away from just about every car that lined up with me.
A buddy of mine has a 2000 Camaro with forged internals and a 200 shot of nitrous and even he had a hard time keeping up with me. Not till he hit the juice did he even stand a chance.
Llama, llama, duck.
Sgt.MisterLlamaman

Postby 2nd Lt.East-Raven » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:33 pm

Mod list,dyno sheet and dyno brand because hard to belived to be honest but everythING possible! Nice car btw
2nd Lt.East-Raven
SRRP Officer

Postby Sgt.MisterLlamaman » Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:50 pm

I can put together a mod list, if I remember everything I put into it. as far as the dyno sheets, I don't have them. I know, I can't prove what I'm saying, but that's not really something i'd lie about.
Llama, llama, duck.
Sgt.MisterLlamaman

Postby Bacfire » Sun Oct 19, 2014 2:43 am

Still, even if it would have only say 250Hp, that thing is so light, it's bound to haul a$$.
Bacfire

Postby 2nd Lt.East-Raven » Sun Oct 19, 2014 5:34 am

Like I said I trust you but sometime some dyno give you dreams and when you go on a dream breaker like a mustang dyno or a MAHA dyno (both are the best dyno to me) you see your number get a drop of 35%. Sure there less drag power into this little car because its fwd so the crank hp and the wheel hp will be close to be the same but with a theorical calcul based on my experience and the number I get once again im awd! You will be close to 584 crank hp so maybe on a dynojet yoir number can be true because what it show you at the wheel on a dyno jet its +- your crank hp on a MAHA or mustang dyno
2nd Lt.East-Raven
SRRP Officer

Postby Sgt.MisterLlamaman » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:38 am

Fair enough. I only dynoed it twice, once before the new tranny gears and once after, and I don't even know what kind of dyno it was. But either way, I don't have my baby anymore. Tis a sad end to a great story.
Llama, llama, duck.
Sgt.MisterLlamaman

Postby Bacfire » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:19 pm

Indeed, always kinda painfull to have to let go of our lil baby. I still miss my first car to this day, even tho it was nothing close to a "Race car".
Bacfire

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge