New keyboard! Razer Anansi (Mac layout)

Sit back, relax, and enjoy friendly discussions with other users of the SRRP forums. Non-clan-related topics only, anything to do with the clan goes in the SRRP Clan & Server section.

New keyboard! Razer Anansi (Mac layout)

Postby Gen.Jersey » Thu Oct 01, 2015 2:18 pm

Razer made Mac layout versions of some of their gaming keyboards for a short time, but I never bought one, and by the time I had realized that they stopped making them, they had been out of production for over a year and nobody had any left in stock.

These guys are quite rare; I've seen used ones sell for several times more than what they cost brand new. I remember seeing an $80 one sell for almost $300 (actually over $300 with shipping), which is absolutely ridiculous. Part of the ridiculousness is probably because they're aren't any backlit Mac layout keyboards in production at the moment, other than a Logitech wireless laptop-style one with short-throw "scissor" keys. I've been sporadically checking eBay, Craigslist, etc. over the past 2 years or so for a Mac layout Razer, but never lucked out. Until now.

I won an eBay auction for a (very) lightly used Mac layout Razer Anansi for $45 shipped. It's supposedly designed for MMO's, and I don't play any MMO's, but it is exactly what I was looking for -- a nice-feeling but non-mechanical keybed (I don't like noisy keyboards), full-spectrum backlighting (any color you want), and most importantly the Mac layout, since my primary computer is a 27" iMac. Yes, it's quite decent for gaming -- despite it being 3 years old I can still run most current games at 1440p (native resolution) with high settings. Intel Core i7 3.4 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 680MX (2 GB), 16 GB RAM, 1 TB Fusion Drive (1 TB hard drive plus a 128 GB SSD, and the OS automatically moves the most frequently-accessed files to the SSD).

Sure, I could have used a standard PC keyboard with my Mac, and I have done so. I already own an older single-color backlit Razer keyboard. But the modifier keys on a Mac keyboard are different than a PC. Both Shift and Control keys are in the same spot, but the Alt (actually "Alt / Option") key is where the Windows key is placed, and an additional modifier key (Command) goes where the Alt keys are. This makes using a PC keyboard on a Mac a bit confusing. The Mac layout Razer keyboard also uses the standard Mac function key assignments (display brightness, media playback controls, audio volume, etc.).

I was willing to pay $100 plus shipping for the keyboard (it originally sold for $80), but for whatever reason nobody else bid on it and it sold for the opening price of $30. The listing only mentioned that is was Mac layout at the bottom of the item description; the title just said "Razer Anansi backlit keyboard". Maybe that was it, but whatever the reason I don't care much.

It's a great feeling when you are finally able to pick something up which you were looking a long time for!
Attachments
Razer-Anansi-Mac-Layout.jpg
General Jersey
SRRP Website Designer and Administrator

Please let me know if you have any issues, questions,
or comments about the SRRP website and server.

Add me on Steam @ [SRRP]Gen.Jersey

PM me here:

Looking to buy a real gun?

Check out WhichGun.com, my firearms reference site and buying guide.
Gen.Jersey
SRRP Senior General

Return to The Lounge