Enabling Console and Recording, Playing, Editing Demos

This forum contains a range of guides for anyone to use.

Enabling Console and Recording, Playing, Editing Demos

Postby Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx » Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:32 pm

Part 1 - Enable the Developer Console
Before recording a demo, the in-game developer console must be enabled. You can think of the console as the "command prompt" of the game where you can issue hundreds of obscure yet useful commands to do things you normally can't do via the interface. Here are two ways of enabling the console:
  1. Open Day of Defeat: Source.
  2. Click on "Options".
  3. Click on "Keyboard" to view the keyboard options.
  4. In the lower section of the window, click on the "Advanced" button.
  5. Verify that the "Enable developer console" option is checked. If it is not, click on the empty checkbox to enable the console.
  6. Press the "Apply" button" to apply the new settings.
  7. Press the "OK" button to save the new settings and exit the options window.
  8. While in-game, press the ~ (tilde) key to open the console. The tilde key is above the Tab key and to the left of the 1 key.
Alternatively you can enable the console from the steam library by following these steps:
  1. Click the little Steam Icon in the taskbar and select library.
  2. Right click on Day of Defeat: Source and click Properties.
  3. Click Set Launch Options and type “-console” without the “”.
  4. Restart Day of Defeat: Source and you will have the console automatically enabled all the time.

Part 2 - Recording the demo
Now that you're all set up with the console, you're ready to record a demo. Demos are recorded in a proprietary format. They are always saved as a .dem extension.

To record a demo:
  1. Bring up the console by pressing the ~ key.
  2. Type record <demoname> where <demoname> is the name you want for your demo. Don't make the name too long or include any spaces or special characters.
  3. When you are finished type stop in the console. The demo will stop recording. Demos are saved in the following location: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod

Part 3 - Playback your demo
This is pretty simple as Valve has provides a GUI for playing back demos.

To playback a demo:
    1. From the main menu, hit SHIFT+F2 and a demo playback GUI will appear.
    2. Load a demo by clicking the "Load" button.
    3. You can now speed up, slow down, pause, and resume the demo by selecting the appropriate buttons. Click the "Drive" button, and you can adjust the camera angle while holding mouse button 1 during playback.

Note there are many other things you can do with demo playback and editing, including adding text overlays, changing the camera angle, etc. See the Demo Recording Tools at the Valve Developer Community wiki if you're interesting in doing any of this stuff.

Part 4 - Posting your demo
  1. Navigate to the Bans and Appeals section of the forums and click "New Topic".
  2. Provide the following information in your ban request:
    • Name of offender
    • Steam ID of offender
    • Description of how the offender broke the rules
    • Proof of the offense (screenshots, videos, or demos are acceptable)
  3. Click the "Upload attachment" button at the bottom of the page and then click "Choose File". Navigate to: C:\Program Files\Steam\SteamApps\common\Day of Defeat Source\dod and select the demo you have recorded.
  4. Post the thread and wait for a General to reply with the result of the ban request.
Part 5 - Demo Console Commands and Editor

Here is a list of commands that you can type in to the console while playing a demo.

To open the Demo Editor GUI, press the "Edit..." button in the Demo Playback window. The Demo Editor allows you to add and execute a set of commands during demo playback. These demo commands can display text, fade in/out, change the FOV or run any other console command. To add a new command, hit the "New->" button and choose a demo command you want to add.

Here is a list of editor commands that can be used in conjunction with the above Demo Editor.

Well here is the complete guide to recording and posting demos. This method is mostly used when trying to catch hackers but is also useful when providing proof of an offense in ban requests as it is strong evidence of the offender committing their infraction. I hope this comes in use when catching those hackers and remember, a demo is an essential piece of information which is required when requesting a ban on a hacker.

Written by Headshot
Lieutenant General xXHeAdShOtXx
Former Senior Recruiting Officer
Assistant Website Administrator
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Member of Swamp Rat's Rat Pack (2011 - )
SRRP Recruitment (2012 - )
Senior Recruiting Officer (2013 - 2014)
SRRP Assistant Website Administrator (2013 - ) __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Questions about recruitment?

Add me on Steam @
[SRRP]Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx

PM me here:
Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx
SRRP Senior General

Re: *GUIDE* Enable Console Record/Play Demos

Postby Col. Communicator » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:21 pm

I tried opening the "Edit..." on the demo play back but it wouldn't open. The other 2 buttons worked "drive" and "smooth" but edit... wouldn't press to open....LOL
" What we've got here is failure to communicate"
Col. Communicator
SRRP Officer

Postby Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:39 am

I'm not sure why that's happening, maybe try re-starting DoD:S. If that doesn't work try contacting Steam Support: https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php. They should reply within a week depending on how many people have contacted Steam Support.
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

SRRP Assistant Website Administrator (2013 - ) __________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Add me on Steam @

PM me here:
Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx
SRRP Senior General

Postby T/Sgt.L. Stewart » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:14 am

my demos dont always work any idea why??
T/Sgt.L. Stewart

Postby Lt.Gen.Adrenaline » Thu Jun 13, 2013 6:54 am

Cpl.L. Stewart wrote:my demos dont always work any idea why??

Download fraps ;)

WARNING: Recording with fraps will take up a lot of space on your hard drive!
Adrenaline
Senior General
Swamp Rat's Rat Pack
Lt.Gen.Adrenaline
SRRP Senior General

Postby Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx » Thu Jun 13, 2013 7:32 am

Cpl.L. Stewart wrote:my demos dont always work any idea why??

What do you mean? When you type: Record "demo name" it doesn't start? Or the file doesn't save? Or? Either way, if it continues to happen, try a reinstall, if still keeps happening, it might be worth it to contact Steam support. https://support.steampowered.com/newticket.php

Add me on Steam @

PM me here:
Lt.Gen.xXHeAdShOtXx
SRRP Senior General

Postby T/Sgt.L. Stewart » Fri Jun 14, 2013 1:29 am

does someone have a link for free fraps that works
T/Sgt.L. Stewart

Postby Gen.Cannafix » Fri Jun 14, 2013 3:11 am